Monday, April 30, 2012

Cheb Khaled | Hada Raykoum


Given the response to the posting of Khaled's 1979 Yal Malblia yesterday, I hereby declare this Cheb Khaled Week at the old Bodega. Every night after work I'll be posting another great 70s or 80s collection by the King of Rai, stopping just shy of 1988's Kutche ... not because I don't like that album (I love it), but because most people visiting this blog will already be familiar with the later Khaled stuff. 

Although the recording in yesterday's post predates this one by some six years, it's this album--Hada Raykoum--that is generally considered to be Cheb Khaled's first studio recording. The sound on this copy is not the greatest--unlike everything else I'll be posting this week, it didn't originate with me; I found it online somewhere and I have no idea whether it was ripped from LP, cassette or CD. 

But, like I say, it's considered to be his first studio album, so it's sort of obligatory. And, yes, it does indeed rawk. You'll want to let the sample song below go on for 30-40 seconds to see what it's really going to do--although it starts out sounding a bit tame, it quickly winds itself into brilliantly fucked up, off-kilter territory the likes of which you've probably not yet experienced.

Listen to "Hadak Hobi Laoual"

Get it all here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In recent years I have not heard much Khaled but he eturned to recording that song again, I do not think that sound is for his first K7, Chef Khaled and Cheb Mami recorded a k7 every two weeks to win a small amount of money, is for that so often repeated the same song sometimes with different titles.
Also Zahouania recorded this song, and I think I have heard sing it both together.

A good place to find information for Raï is ytb.

http://youtu.be/0VarC9bzUj4
http://youtu.be/ExrrpmFyojY