Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Bollywood Freak Out | Bodega Pop vol. 7


Just reupped this two-dozen track revelation here.

I gave myself a task: Using only CDs I'd purchased in Jackson Heights, Queens, over the last decade or so, create the Single Most Kick Ass 1970s-80s Bollywood Freak Out Mix of All Time without resorting to any track included on any previous Western Consumer-targeted Bollywood Funk/Disco/Dance or other compilation. (Feel free to let me know where fucked up on that one, as I can't imagine, given how many comps there are out there, that I didn't.)

As you listen to this sweat-stained comp, comparing it to your copies of Bollywood Funk, Bollywood Funk Experience, and Funk from Bollywood Action Films, let me ask you a question: How much does your ass hurt, being kicked as it is by this far superior compilation?

This Superior Tip Top 100% Super Dance Action comp goes out with Xtreme Love to the Bodega's all-time BFFs: Carol, Doug, Holly, and, above all, fellow Bollywood traveler Rodney. You know who you are. 

As an aside: I've heard complaints from yon and hither that "Oh it's a RAR file I can't open a RAR file I don't know what to do with a RAR file my hands are tied."

So, until further notice, and unless someone taps me on the shoulder and whispers the RAR secrets into my ear, I'll be merely zipping files for the foreseeable future.

At WFMU Super DJ Doug Schulkind's request, here's a full track list with film titles and dates:

1. Aa Dekhen Zara, Rocky, 1981
2. Zindagi Meri Dance, Dance Dance, 1987
3. Bachna Ae Haseeno, Hum Kisise Kum Naheen, 1977
4. Naheen Naheen! Abhee Naheen! Abhee Karo Intazaar!, Jawani Deewani, 1972
5. Super Dancer, Dance Dance, 1987
6. Jawani Jan-E-Man, Namak Halaal, 1982
7. Tridev, Tridev, 1989
8. Duniya Mein, Apna Desh, 1972
9. Jeena Bhi Kya Koi Jeena Hai, Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki, 1984
10. Bolo Bolo Kuch To Bolo, Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai, 1981
11. Dance Dance, Dance Dance, 1987
12. Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki, Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki, 1984
13. Laila O Laila, Qurbani, 1980
14. Mil Gaya Ham Ko Saathi, Hum Kisise Kum Naheen, 1977
15. Tum Kya Jano, Hum Kisise Kum Naheen, 1977
16. Yeh Naina Yaad Hai Piya, Manzil Manzil, 1984
17. Ooie Ooie, Star, 1982
18. Mujhe Maar Daalo, Geeta Mera Naam, 1974
19. Aap Jaisa Koi (Instrumental), Qurbani, 1980
20. One Two Cha Cha Cha, Shalimar, 1978
21. Pyar Zindagi Hai, Muqaddar Ka Sikandar, 1978
22. He Baba, Manzil Manzil, 1984
23. Disco Deewane, Disco Deewane (album, not a film), 1981
24. Yeh Mera Dil Yaar Ka Diwana, Don, 1978

4 comments:

Holly said...

Gary, Gary, Gary! Playing catch up, can't wait to listen to this fine-looking comp. Thank you.

BTW, WinRAR is a fine free utilty for opening RAR files - and for creating same. Very easy to use - I've used for years & highly recommend, if anyone cares ;-) It does NOT expire and there is NO need to purchase after 40 days, no matter what silly pop-up window says.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful compilation (and for all the others too).

I hate to tell you but you said you wanted to know - the track Jeena Bhi Kya Koi Jeena Hai has actually previously been released on the compilation Beginner's Guide to Bollywood, Vol 2 on Nascente Records. Not anywhere near as good as yours though.

deewani said...

Wow, now I have to amend my disco playlist. What a fantastic collection. Just FYI the Rough Guide to Bollywood Disco recently came out. http://www.worldmusic.net/store/item/RGNET1306/ They had previously done a Rough Guide to Psychadelic Bollywood. http://www.worldmusic.net/store/item/RGNET1302/

However, yours is the best I've seen, so many personal favorites here. http://deewanis.blogspot.com/2011/10/disco-playlist.html)

JasonM said...

Love it! Thank you!!!