Monday, June 10, 2013

Various Artists | Warszawa

warszawa-cd

Reupped in 360kbps by popular demand here.

[Originally posted June 4, 2011.] Found at Music Planet near the Nassau G stop near the border of Williamsburg and Greenpoint. Music Planet is a Polish CD and DVD store that I discovered a couple of weeks ago with friends as we wandered around the neighborhood, waiting for a table to have brunch. Somehow, I was able to talk them into stepping inside, after which I took note of several things, this all-Polish tribute to Joy Division among them.




Today, I returned to the neighborhood and picked up this, and "Woda, Woda, Woda" by the punk band Sexbomba. I think all of us assumed Soxbomba would be the clear winner; we were wrong. This is actually one of the best tribute records I've ever heard, in great part due to the range of responses, including an original song in Polish inspired by Joy Division. (This is, as it turns out, one of numerous Joy Division tributes recorded around the world.)



When I returned today I managed to find this immediately, but not the Sexbomba (a sign?). As I stood there, scanning the stacks, one of the clerks, dressed more like a pharmacist than a guy selling CDs, asked me what seemed like a very long question in Polish as he walked by me. Assuming he was asking me the obvious, I blurted out "Sexbomba!" He stopped, wheeled around and, again saying something that sounded incredibly long and complicated, pointed out the Sexbomba section. I thanked him in English.


"You like this band?" he asked, without skipping a beat. He seemed impressed.

"Mm, thanks for finding it for me."

"That's what I'm here for!" he replied, disappearing into the back of the store as I made my way to the register.


2 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, I am intrigued...

Wojtek Barczyński said...

Pustki is one of Poland's biggest rock bands, they played SXSW this year and recorded an English language version of their last record (the title track of which you've posted) and apparently they will be releasing it through Sub Pop(!) next year. All true.