Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Khine Htoo & The Phoenix


Listen to "Ah Way"

Get it all here.

Big thanks to Peter Doolan for sending this along for me to post. Peter, of course, is the guy who first told me about Thiri Video (where he got this and other cassettes and where I got dozens of CDs); we went there together for the first time last summer.

My computer has been in the shop for a few days--nothing horrible, relax. But that's why I haven't been posting. I'll start up again later this week or this weekend. Meanwhile, this rather delicious recording might, I hope, inspire a few of you to see Khine Htoo, along with other Burmese pop artists Tin Zar Maw, Chaw Su Khin and Supan Htwar this Saturday, June 30 at the LaGuardia Performing Arts Center in Long Island City. (Get details here.)

More soon; I promise.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I love this, Gary! Do you know when recorded/released? Is there more ? ;-) Thank you.

Gary said...

Hi Holly!

Peter would have all the details and hopefully he'll chime in. I don't have a physical copy of this; he emailed me a link to it last night or night before last. I think it's from the 70s, but that's a total guess.

I'll be posting more Burmese music soon, yes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peter & Gary!

Fascinating & great music - much much appreciation & respect for bringing this to a wider audience.

:-)

M

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Got here while searching for for some info on Shadia, and found your brilliant Best Of-rip. Thanks!

Moahaha (at Bloopers)

peter said...

hey guys! unfortunately i can't get very specific with the dates... the backing band here, the phoenix, is khine htoo's first. by 1981 he was backed instead by the aces, and his earliest recordings were in the late 70's, so this should fall within that range

Raimondas said...

Not quite my cup of tea, but there are a few more releases by Khine Htoo here: http://axeltkw.blogspot.com/2012/03/khine-htoo-discography.html
(I'm not affiliated with that blog)

Gary said...

Thanks so much for the link, Raimondas!

Anonymous said...

The Phoenix is the name of the band. Album title is "Song Bird" in English.

Assumed production in 1979, which is written on the cover. (Signature and Year by Cover Artist)

Kal