Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bappi Lahiri | Disco Dancer +



Listen to "I Am a Disco Dancer" from Disco Dancer


Listen to "Auva Auva Koi Yahan Nache" from Disco Dancer


Listen to the title song from Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki


Listen to "Jeena Bhi Kya Koi Jeena Hai" from Kasam Paida Wale Ki

D is for down.

BODEGAPOP: You were born Alokesh Lahiri. Why "Bappi"?

BAPPI LAHIRI: You have asked me a very difficult question. When I met Michael Jackson in 1996, he appreciated Bappi's east-west blend of disco. He used to say: "You are coming from 'Jimmi Jimmi' country," after the "Jimmy Jimmy Aaja Aaja" number from Disco Dancer. As I explained to him, early on Lataji called me by my childhood nickname, Bhappi, and because of this the entire music industry thought I was Bhappi. So from Bhappi to Bappi da to Bling Bling Bappi da.

BODEGAPOP: Speaking of Michael Jackson, "Jeena Bhi Kya Koi Jeena Hai" seems to open with the bass riff from Jackson's "Billie Jean" ... and "Auva Auva Koi Yahan Nache" lifts the bouncy keyboard riff and "Oh-Wah-Ohs" from the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star." 

BAPPI LAHIRI: In Bappi's era we adapted songs and tunes. But that was one or two songs out of 10. Today, the condition is so poor. A recent album had six songs, all of which were lifts. I don't know where that leaves originality.

BODEGAPOP: When I picked this CD up in Jackson Heights today, I wasn't prepared to like Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki so much -- even more so than Disco Dancer, which of course is one of my all-time faves.

BAPPI LAHIRI: I have a special attachment with Disco Dancer, which was not much popular in India. In Russia and China it was a super hit. 


BODEGAPOP: Why do you think that was?

BAPPI LAHIRI: Others like watching others looking at others. It's an endless series of fun house mirrors.

BODEGAPOP: "Bling Bling Bappi da"?

BAPPI LAHIRI: Jewelry is a part of Bappi Lahiri's identity. I have a craze for buying gold whenever possible; gold is lucky for me--gold and precious watches (time). This locket, in fact, when Michael Jackson visited me in Mumbai, he praised this locket very much. 

BODEGAPOP: To what do you attribute your success?

BAPPI LAHIRI: If Bappi has been able to create music that makes small children to middle age people to old adults dancing, it is because of the pulse which I think is given by god.

2 comments:

Crafty C said...

You're the best, Gary!

Thank you!!

:)

Holly said...

So, so so good. Go Bappi!