Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Madam Maria Anokwuru, Madam Rose Nzuruike + Obi Wuru Otu Dance Group | Nwanyi Ma Obi Di Ya



Listen to Track 2

Grab the whole album here

Ihiagwa is a Christian township of 8 villages a bit south of Owerri, the capital of Imo State (and former capital of Biafra). Obi Wuru Otu is the all-women dance group of the township, led by Maria Anokwuru. Their lead singer, on this album at least, is Rose Nzuruike.

There are four tracks on this stunning CD, two of which top 15 minutes a piece. I picked this up, along with I'm-really-not-quite-sure-how-many other terrific albums, at Blessing Udeagu, a copy shop and Nollywood DVD store in East Elmhurst that also sells used books and Christian and secular music from Nigeria in CD and VCD form.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I'll be devoting tonight's Bodega Pop Live episode to mostly Sub-Saharan African music, and in preparation, pulled the 60 to 70 related CDs I've managed to accumulate over the last couple of years off and out of my various shelves and plastic bins. And realized that, oh, gosh, I guess there's a lot I still haven't shared with you guys yet.

Better late than never? 

1 comment:

John B. said...

I wrote about this album here:

http://likembe.blogspot.com/2010/01/ladies-of-ihiagwa-owerri.html