On Wednesday, October 15, Bodega Pop Live on WFMU's Give the Drummer Radio spun music from the beloved Pakistani playback singer who lent her voice to the only Pakistani film ever banned by the BBC — as well as rare studio recordings and sizzling live tracks from half a dozen or so other recording artists we’re officially stalking, including:
· A recently unearthed over-the-top live recording by a Syrian diva who recently had her passport revoked for her vocal criticism of Bashar Assad
· Career-spanning tracks from the Polish rocker known as much for his James Brown-like performances as for his forward-looking prog and moog-y concept albums
· A few greatest hits by the craziest Southeast Asian rapper we’ve ever heard
· Our favorite cuts by our favorite politicized twee band in the world
· An unreleased early live performance by one of the towering giants of Algerian rai
AND LOOK AT WHAT’S COOKING FOR NEXT WEEK!
Oct 22: GAL PALS | DJ Amanda Nazario joins Gary to co-host super thrill–inducing garage pop duo GAL PALS. Lauren Marie Mikus and Jillian Talley will stop by the studio to perform early hits + songs from their upcoming debut album, and spin some of the music that influenced and inspires them.