My favorite New York music blogger, Peter Doolan, is leaving the city in a couple of days to spend the next year (at least) in Bangkok. He and his girlfriend and I had tentative plans Friday evening to take a trip together up to Arthur Avenue for Italian eats and Albanian CD store diving, but circumstances (mine, alas) dictated otherwise. So, tonight's post is dedicated to him, with thanks for Monrakplengthai (which I hope he keeps up while in Thailand), for all of the translation/transliteration work he's done for me here and, last but not least, for introducing me to Thiri Video where, as some of you know, is where most of the ungodly great Burmese music I've posted here over the last year or so has come from.
I've spent the last week on vacation, using the time mostly to finish up three or four writing projects I'd been asked or commissioned to do. As a reward to myself today, and partly because I was thinking of Peter's immanent departure, I took a bike ride out to Woodside for the spicy-hottest pork larb I have ever had in my life (at Thailand's Center Point) and to dig through their large selection of CDs, all of which are on sale for half price--or about $5 a piece. This one, by a Thai Country singer whose name I don't know, and a Jintara Poonlarb collection I didn't already have, were the clear winners. (I'll post Jintara a bit later. It's by far the hardest-rawqin thing by her I've ever heard.)
What struck me about the present album, in addition to this woman's rather marvelously rough-around-edges voice, is the music production/instrument choices, which at times are, frankly, eyebrow raising. Which is to say: sublime.
gary, thanks so much for the kind words. they mean a lot coming from my favorite new york blogger. we were sad things didn't work out on friday (my fault, too.. short notice), but i was serious about bangkok, of course... you will have a home there, if you can swing it! i will definitely be keeping up monrakplengthai (the low post rate lately has been due to the hecticness of moving) and i look forward to the new york nostalgia your blog will inevitably evoke.
Thai romanization is so confusing. "Yui Yardyer" is how she's romanized on the ethaiCD site, and I think I found this album with tracklist and romanizations here:
Pro Football Action Vol. 1-3
-
Three volumes, six albums. At the risk of being overly boastful, this might
be the greatest collection of music used in NFL Films and football
highlight...
RTG 1 & 2 (Conacry)
-
Sorry to keep you waiting so long. My health is poor and there was lots of
work.
So to keep you happy here the first two tapes that my friend Joris t...
-
* It's been a long time..*
* 16 Years went by in the blink of an eye. *
Thank you all for being with us this whole time, even now after all those
years ...
The Death Of Disco Was An Inside Job
-
*Chicago shock-jock Steve Dahl at the 1979 **Disco Demolition event.*
"Revisionist history" can be useful if it's done to correct errors or
biases in pa...
the dust of all this
-
there’s simply no way to write without laying waste to all of existence in
order to choose what to bring back from the dust of all this — *is this
what is ...
Two from the American Southwest
-
I wanted to focus on two examples of local, almost “one-off” 78 rpm
releases that feature music of the American southwest, in the states of
Arizona and New...
This is the end of the road.
-
Thank you everyone who has visited and followed this blog and its
predecessor (Washerman’s Dog) since 2010! I have run out of steam and will
be taking time...
R.I.P. this blog (and hello new zine!)
-
As anyone who still occasionally checks into this site will have noticed,
updates over the past few years have gone from sporadic to almost
non-existent. T...
Various Artists - The Mozart Lounge (2002)
-
Well, here I am again with a random post after 18 months or so. This time
one of my favourite albums, the 2002 Mozart Lounge compilation from
Apoll...
MUTANT SOUNDS VINYL AUCTIONS ON EBAY ARE LIVE NOW
-
Just a small update to let everyone know that some major vinyl rarities
from the Mutant Sound archive are being auctioned currently and auctions
will be co...
Tip For Choosing a Good Driving School
-
Once you sit behind the wheels ready to start a car, you must be ready for
the tremendous responsibility that you are about to take over. The
knowledge o...
Yamoah's Band
-
And once again a 'new'album from my favourite band, Yamoah's.
It dates from 1975, so it is hardly new, and probably the music is even
older. But i had ne...
Membasmi Kutu Kucing Dengan Minyak Telon
-
Jika kucing Anda membenci air, coba gunakan sisir kutu agar membasmi kutu
kucing dengan minyak telon merasa tidak nyaman. Anda perlu memastikan sisir
turun...
Ngixolele: Forgive me
-
Amongst year-end reflections of gratitude and disappointment the question
of forgiveness keeps coming back to me. Those who seek it, those who give
it, ...
矢野顕子 – JAPANESE GIRL [1976]
-
矢野顕子 (Akiko Yano) is one of my most favorite artists I’ve discovered since
Midori. Wild, jazzy and genre-hopping much like Midori, she’ll go from
using syn...
Arabic Sleeves with Children Scribbles
-
We found these sleeves a while ago.. All scribbled ! First one is egyptian,
as I know. All the following is from Morocco, Casaphone from Casablanca and
Bou...
goodbye, 8tracks
-
I've started a project of daily music selections on Twitter at
*#hearsaysongoftheday*.
I hope you check those out. Let's see how this goes.
The post goo...
Hiroshi Sato - Super Market (1976)
-
Some readers may know the late Japanese pianist Hiroshi Sato from his
excellent *Awakening* record with Wendy Matthews, or his work with ...
Faktor Penyebab Kanker Payudara
-
*Penyebab kanker payudara* belum sepenuhnya dipahami, sehingga sulit untuk
mengatakan mengapa seorang wanita dapat mengembangkan kanker payudara dan
wanita...
A Chinese Ghost Story Soundtrack (倩女幽魂) [REPOST]
-
*As I've posted several times before, I am a huge Hong Kong movie fan and
"A Chinese Ghost Story" is definitely on my favorites list. While Tsui
Hark's "Z...
-
Hopefully all the links have now finally been refreshed and replaced with
working ones at a new service. If you still find missing or malfunctioning
on...
Songs for Her Lover: Afroz Bano
-
Gopis (cow herdesses) and Lord Krishna
*Thumri, *a semi-classical genre of Hindustani music, arose out of the
love/erotic *Bhakti/sufi *poetry that des...
Ravi Shankar - Sound of the Sitar
-
*ravi shankar*
sound of the sitar
(sitar)
1. raga malkauns - alap
2. raga malkauns - jor
3. tala sawari
4. pahari dhun
listen
rest in peace ravi, you w...
Au revoir
-
Hi readers!
Thank you so much for all the support you've given this blog. It's amazing
the amount of traffic I still get, even when the blog has been inact...
QotD - Hesse on recorded music
-
And in fact, to my indescribable astonishment and horror, the devilish tin
trumpet spat out, without more ado, a mixture of bronchial slime and chewed
rubb...
S. D. Burman: Taxi Driver (1954/1977) Pakistan
-
Ok, ok. I actually enjoyed the *Taxi Driver* soundtrack more than* Chalti
Ka Naam Gaadi*. And I have to admit that I am finding some S. D. Burman
songs wh...
Introduction
-
Misora Hibari
"Everything absolutely has a tiny and flaring point which makes a person or
a thing different from others, like the incalculable stars in th...
Lord Astor e Seu Conjunto - E Danca (1961)
-
Hello, good evening! I am very close to finish an important work to Loronix
and also a key effort to bring some relief to the financial problems I'm
facing...
5 comments:
Track 9 sucked me in :-)
thanx
you can have red blue yellow of her
visit here
http://www.ethaicd.com/list.php?catid=267
gary, thanks so much for the kind words. they mean a lot coming from my favorite new york blogger. we were sad things didn't work out on friday (my fault, too.. short notice), but i was serious about bangkok, of course... you will have a home there, if you can swing it! i will definitely be keeping up monrakplengthai (the low post rate lately has been due to the hecticness of moving) and i look forward to the new york nostalgia your blog will inevitably evoke.
btw! this lady is yui yatyoe
Thai romanization is so confusing. "Yui Yardyer" is how she's romanized on the ethaiCD site, and I think I found this album with tracklist and romanizations here:
http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=22964
This is totally badass. Thanks!
Post a Comment